Harry Potter and the Cursed Child



The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

brief synopsis taken from goodreads.com

This is one of those books that after you read it, you just can't seem to stop thinking about it. I was planning on doing some homework before finishing this, but then I got caught up in the book and HAD TO finish it. And then, after I finished the book, I couldn't stop thinking about it and had to watch a few book talks before all the thoughts calmed down and I was able to concentrate on my homework again.

I wasn't sure how much I would like the format of the book, since it was so far from where the original Harry Potter took place, and because of the play format. I absolutely loved the new format of this book. Personally, I found J.K.'s descriptions to be too long in the novels, but how much that was shortened in the play manuscript really made the whole thing a lot better. How everything had theater descriptions and then it was just straight diolouge was very fun to read, and it was PERFECT for visualization. I read this so quickly and it only took me a little while to get sucked into the story and not be able to put it down.



I am personally a Hermione + Harry shipper. To get used to Hermione & Ron and Harry & Ginny being married and raising kids together was something. I am not proud to say that it pained me a little bit. However, once I was slightly less pained with the couples (I AM NEVER EVER GETTING OVER HARRY NOT BEING WITH HERMIONE), I LOVED getting to see their kids so much. You know that part at the end when Harry is all like "Yo Albus you just kinda like me. James finds everything very easy. My adolescent years were everything but easy." I predicted it. From the the first scene. When Albus was all being upset because "He was not living up to the family name and was a disappointment." I was like "father like son. Father like son."

OK. Hermione is the Minister of Magic. WOW. She is gonna be the best minister y'all ever seen. Like seriously. Hermione knows what it's like to have a minister that does absolutely NOTHING and she's pretty smart too. (ugh... that scene with snape tho. Comment if you remember. "You were average to mediocre.") And Rose. She was like if you took Hermione, made her like 20-so years younger, and made her a red head. (I'm assuming she's a red head. I mean, she's half weasly, she HAS TO BE a red head.) I loved Rose. I would love to see a story featuring her, if you are reading this J.K.. (She probably isn't. If you are reading this J.K., comment and I can scream for a good two hours because the writer of Harry Potter just commented on my blog. Spoiler: She's not reading this. I wouldn't be reading myself ramble on and on for hours if I had written Harry Potter. I would have better things to do, like write more Harry Potter books. (Hint. Hint. J.K. if you are reading this. Write some more teen/middle grade books.))

Who LOVED Scorpius's and Albus's relationship. I absolutely ADORED it. They were such a dynamic duo, and yet they made mistakes and were quite stupid at times. BUT how many mistakes they made allowed the characters to come to life more fully because they seemed more real because I make mistakes all the time, so I can totally relate. Also, with all of their mistakes, we got to more fully explain the time turner, how delicate the fabrics of time really are,  and the concept of time in the wizarding word. I personally loved getting to see more of the time turner and the different scenarios it could bring into the hands of villains and just some teenage boys. I always wanted more about the time turners after the third book, and I got it in this book/play/idk what to call it.

And Voldemort's daughter. WHAT THE HECK?!!?!?!?!?!?!? The fact that Voldemort even had a daughter while the whole "taking over the world" thing was going on. (I understand that he did not raise her, and she was not born until around or after the battle of Hogwarts, but still....) Again, I want a book about Voldemort and Bellatrix and this Voldemort baby. (Mostly because I don't read fan fiction. Let's be real, there is no better set up for like a billion different ways that the whole Voldemort's daughter thing went than how J.K. set it up. I bet there are like a lot of fanfics out there already. I'm a cannon girl, if you couldn't tell.)

I loved this so so much. I loved the short "chapters" that we got because we don't usually get that in HP. I also loved the lack of set up/build up before the story began. The first 100 pages of any first book in a fantasy series are the hardest of all to get through, and we didn't have to do this here because we already knew everything about this world and most of the characters. I could go on forever about this book and the whole Harry Potter series in general, but I have things to do and I sadly can't talk about Harry Potter forever. Although, I probably have already been going on forever. And, does anyone else feel the need to reread the whole Harry Potter series now? I definitely do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding your groove with journaling

How Does Unique Formatting in Books Affect Your Reading Experience?

Does This Mean I'm Not A Reader Anymore?