Thoughts on Dumplin' // I loved this book, but it took me forever to read

Dumplin' 
By: Julie Murphy
100%
Teen Book 
371 pages

Blurb:
Dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom, Willowdean has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American-beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked . . .  until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo,  hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back.  
Instead of finding new heights of self-assurance in her relationship with Bo, Will starts to doubt herself. So she sets out to take back her confidence by doing the most horrifying thing she can imagine: entering the Miss Teen Blue Bonnet Pageant—along with several other unlikely candidates—to show the world that she deserves to be up there as much as any twiggy girl does. Along the way, she’ll shock the hell out of Clover City—and maybe herself most of all.


This book starts out with a spunky, fresh, and different tone to it. 

I absolutely LOVED Willowdean's narrative. She was not extremely relatable to me, 
but I could see as she saw and I could relate to some parts of her struggle. 
Willowdean was so confident. I absolutely HATE it when a fictional character is always afraid of what other people will think and base their whole life around that. 
Willowdean was different and bold. She based what she did on her views and 
opinions. She don't need no man!!! 
(Please excuse my very poor grammar. Yes, poor grammar still bugs me.
 However, POINTS NEED TO BE MADE!!)
Willowdean also did things to prove people wrong. I loved that! 
She entered a pageant when even her mom didm't think she could do it. 
Willowdean was sweet and sassy at the same time. 
She always had the best of both worlds without being too perfect and unreal. 
Wilowdean was also caring, which most people think is weak, but I think is a strength. 
She is strong willed enough to help and cheer on her friends, or others like her. 
The character development in everyone except the boys was amazing. 
I did not much care for the boys in this book, but I will talk about that later. 

This book had some stuff I really really liked. And I am talking about things besides the WONDERFUL characters. 

There were short chapters in this book. I cannot express how much
 I LOVE short chapters. I love them to pieces. They are bae. 
With contemporary books, you want the fluff in short sittings or servings. 
You don't eat six pounds of chocolate in one sitting, unless it's NaNoWriMo. 
I also loved how easy this book to read. It took me about one page to get 
into this book. It did take me a long while to read this, but only because I had 
life stuff going on, like homework. 

I also liked how the friendship pieced back together. 
I feel that I rarely see that in books or real life, for that matter.
 The friendship and scenes with Ellen made
 me smile ear to ear. I also loved the character Ellen too. 
She was the perfect stereotypical BFF, but I still loved her. 
She was so cute and did support Willowdean in the end. 

Books are better than boys. No, really. In this book, I detested the boys. 

I did not like the boys in this book. I did kind of enjoy the scenes with them in
the beginning, but in the middle and the end they were super annoying.
I did not like the boys' personalities or just what they did. 
However, the boys did brings some great conversations to the book. 
There were a lot of good conversations in the book, but I particularly liked the 
ones with the boys. Also the comebacks in this book were FLAWLESS! 
The dialogue throughout the whole book was completely amazing. 

Read this book. NOW!

Everything in this book was perfect or close to it. The characters were cute and sassy. 
Character development was also all over the place. The writing was so easy to read, 
it sometimes relived my stress. I loved this book to pieces. 
I would recommend this to you if you are a contemporary lover, 
are in the mood for a quick read, if you are feeling a bit down on yourself, or if you are a teenager. 


UPDATE TIME
If you are a bit confused, I changed my blog name to Rambling Rundowns for about 3-4 days,
but I didn't like it as much as my old one, so I changed it back. I am going to change a few things title and what I post about-wise. I think I am going to do some non-bookish stuff. 
(SURPRISE TIME!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Does Unique Formatting in Books Affect Your Reading Experience?

Finding your groove with journaling

Does This Mean I'm Not A Reader Anymore?