Thoughts on Not If I See You First


Not If I See You First
By Eric Lindstrom

★★★★.75
95%
310 pages

Blurb

The Rules: Don't deceive me. Ever. Especially using my blindness. Especially in public. Don't help me unless I ask. Otherwise you're just getting in my way or bothering me. Don't be weird. Seriously, other than having my eyes closed all the time, I'm just like you only smarter. Parker Grant doesn't need 20/20 vision to see right through you. That's why she created the Rules: Don't treat her any differently just because she's blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. Just ask Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart. When Scott suddenly reappears in her life after being gone for years, Parker knows there's only one way to react-shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough on her mind already, like trying out for the track team (that's right, her eyes don't work but her legs still do), doling out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn't cried since her dad's death three months ago. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened--both with Scott, and her dad--the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem. Maybe, just maybe, some Rules are meant to be broken.


My Thoughts

"You just have to dissect everything around you like dead frogs."
Not If I See You First, page 71

I loved loved loved our main character, Parker. She was so unique and was full of both hidden talents and quirks. I also think that Parker saw almost the whole world with perfect vision, despite being literally blind. Parker dissected the whole world, and told you when you were being nonsensical or a D.B. At some points I felt her to be out of tune with everyone, but I'll talk about that later. I also loved how sharp Parker's wit was. She was always being sassy and put up with no nonsense. (YAY FOR CHARACTERS WHO ACTUALLY HAVE A BACKBONE!!!) I also LOVED LOVED LOVED how determined Parker was, whether it be in school, running, or holding herself together after her Dad's passing. Overall, I loved Parker's character whom developed SO SO much throughout the course of this book to understand both herself and others better. I just feel that Parker started out a a very independent character in the beginning of the book, and then she completely remolds into a better, more Parker version of Parker.

"I'm glad for the friends I have, but they can't fill the space of a mom or dad who will always love me no matter what, and neither friends nor family can provide that special warmth I felt one time and somehow, deep down, I know I will never feel that warmth again."
-Not If I See You First, page 93

I think that Parker was figuratively blind in some of her relationships. I felt that she didn't pay enough attention at times, and didn't ask enough questions when they needed to be asked. However, I LOVED THE RELATIONSHIPS SO SO MUCH. I loved the relationships between her dad and Parker, between Molly and Parker, between her best friend who always wore sweatpants and Parker, and between the ever-so mysterious Scott and Parker. The relationships also brought really unique conversations that were filled to the brim with wit, sarcasm, sass, and a different kind of humor.

"I don't need light for anything."
-Not If I See You First, page 102

The writing. I have been dreading talking about this because I'm afraid I'm going to sound hypocritical. The writing contradicts itself throughout the book. At some points the writing is amazing, makes the book fly by, and is very deep all at the same time. At other times, the writing made the book drag on, or made the climax or ending to be kind of rushed and not well lead up to. The writing also really gave the protagonist a unique, different voice. The writing is different, but for the most part, I enjoyed it.

Overall, I would give this a read if you are a fan of Everything, Everything By Nicola Yoon,Dumplin' By Julie Murphy, or Finding Audrey By Sophie Kinsella. This book is perfect for anyone, particularly if you are in a reading slump. Packed with very strong, driven characters, great writing, and the cutest relationships and conversations, this book is sure to please anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding your groove with journaling

How Does Unique Formatting in Books Affect Your Reading Experience?

Does This Mean I'm Not A Reader Anymore?