Thoughts on My True Love Gave to Me

My True Love Gave to Me 
By: Various Authors
★★★★☆
80%
Teen Book
321 pages
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review. Thank You St. Martin's Griffin! However, this does not change my opinion of this book in any way, shape, or form. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Midnights 
By: Rainbow Rowell

This book was a typical Rainbow Rowell, cutesy, and very easy to read. In this story, I particularly liked the conversations. They were so cute and realistic. I also really like how much the writing put you in the scene like you were really there. Noel was one of the most cute and quirky characters that I have ever seen. This is definitely one of my favorite stories in this collection.  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lady and the Fox 
By: Kelly Link

The best part of this story was the writing. The writing was imaginative and made you feel that you feel like you were in the moment. Everything else really confused me. I felt that this story would have ben better in full book format. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Angels in the Snow
By: Matt De La Peña

"I guess I don't know what I want to do either. Sometimes I feel like a shook-up bottle of soda. Like, I have all this passion that wants to explode, but I don't know where to aim it."
-Angels in the Snow, page 74

I liked the vibe that this book gave off right from the beginning. This short story had a great writing style, so much that I am super interested in picking up some other books by this author. I loved the narrative that the main character gave, but I absolutely hated his personality. He kind of drove me crazy, but made me love him at the same time. I really liked the tone of the conversations in this story. Overall, this story was very heartwarming. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Polaris is where you'll find me
By: Jenny Han 

"If you have magic in you, you should protect it all your life and never let it go, because once it's gone, it's gone forever."
-Polaris is where you'll find me 

This book is super cute from the beginning, with an even cuter narrator. This book also has the typical cutesy writing that Jenny Han always graces us with. I also found many quotes very touching and thought-provoking, like the one above. Overall, this book is cute and heartwarming. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown
By: Stephanie Perkins

"It's the rareness that makes it so special."
-It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown, page 126

"You can tell a lot about a person by looking at the state of their surroundings."
-It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown, page 128

This is the first piece of Stephanie Perkins' writing that I have genuinely enjoyed. I found this to be cute and heartwarming. I also loved almost all the quotes, like the ones above. The characters also made me so giddy and happy, just like a Christmas book should. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Temporary Santa
By: David Leviathan 

"He says that presents aren't important, but I think they are - not because of how much they cost, but for the opportunity to say I understand you."
-Your Temporary Santa, page 135 

I loved the unique, different style of this writing style. I also felt that the quotes in this short story either made me think very deeply or made me laugh. The characters were totally swoon worthy, and I haven't said that in quite a while. Overall, I would definitely read this story, and I know want to read some of David's other works.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Krampuslauf
By: Holly Black 

"Scramble the letters in Santa and you get Satan."
-Krampuslauf, page 155

"You created me, but once you create a thing, you can't always control it."
-Krampuslauf, page 161

I really liked the creepy and different type of Christmas story this was. I really liked the character Wren. She was wild, cool, different, and tough. Despite the concept of this book, the narrative was adorable, and I loved it. I would definitely recommend this story.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the hell have you done, Sophie Roth
By: Gayle Forman

I really liked the conversations, I found them to have the perfect fluff factor for this story. The characters were adorable and just perfect. The writing was also very deep and thought-provoking at the same time as being super cute. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus
By: Myra McEntire

"If the Lord and I started talking forgiveness, I'd be in a confessional for the rest of my life."
-Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus, page 206

I found this book to be "eh". It was the kind of different that I don't like. I liked a few of the quotes, but very few. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Christmas, CA 
By: Kiersten White 

This had a cute concept and very good writing. I also liked the message tho story gave. The characters were super adorable. Overall, I would recommend. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Star of Bethlehem
By: Ally Carter 

"I sang because not singing would never bring them back, but singing would make us all remember. "
-Star of Bethlehem, page 285

This story was kind of confusing in the beginning. This story was also very cliche. I found that this book was just a typical Ally Carter, not much to it kind of story. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer
By: Laini Taylor

"If there was a God, then Neve's whole life was a crime that had been committed against her, and she dared attract no more of his attention."
-The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer, page 298

"She wanted to be free, and if she could never be free, at least she wanted to be brave - brave enough not to sell herself, no matter what payment, or the cost of refusing."
-The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer, page 299

"This was a plea deeper than words, and his soul strained to answer it."
-The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer, page 306

This short story was both interesting and confusing right off the bat. I really liked how much this was different, in the concept, in how it was carried out, and who voiced the narrative.  I loved the poetic writing that made you think, and the quotes that made you think even more. Overall, this story was my favorite out of the collection. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall

I really liked this book for the most part, but I do have a few complaints. I felt that this collection was a bit too long, and it kind of dragged on at some points, making it boring. I also didn't like how the stories didn't connect, like I expected them to. 





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding your groove with journaling

How Does Unique Formatting in Books Affect Your Reading Experience?

Does This Mean I'm Not A Reader Anymore?