Thoughts on This Song Will Save Your Life


This Song Will Save Your Life
By Leila Sales
★★★★.75
85%
366 pages

Blurb
Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski's strong suit. All throughout her life, she's been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing. 
Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, Leila Sales' THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.

What I Thought 
"I just needed not to be me anymore."
-This Song Will Save Your Life, chapter 1

This book immediately grabbed my attention. This Song Will Save Your Life is very different right in the beginning and you can almost never predict what is coming next. This Song Will Save Your Life is very unique and not quite anything I have ever read. The book also has a writing style that is very addictive, making the book fly by in a couple sittings.  

"I believe a person's taste in music tells you a lot about them. In some cases, it tells you all you need to know."
-This Song Will Save Your Life, chapter 1

I love love loved the writing. This book is from a very unique concept, one surrounding DJ-ing and the writing did it perfectly. This Song Will Save Your Life also deals with many hard topics, such as suicide, bullying, and finding who you really are. In most YA books, dealing with these concepts is cringe-worthy, but this book wrote it just as it needed to be. While dealing with all these concepts you would think that it would feel like you were being bombarded with too many things, but again, Sales did it perfectly. I also loved how Sales formed her dynamic, realistic characters. 

"I love that this couch has never judged me."
-This Song Will Save Your Life, chapter 3

Elise was a great character, not because she was super strong and kick-butt at first, but because of how real she was and how she did develop into something strong and kick-butt. Elise was a very interesting character to me, and her POV was something truly amazing to read from. Elise's POV was thought-provoking and very deep. I love books that make me think and books give me something that I can apply to life. AND I loved the relationship that slowly formed between Vicky and Elise. I love great, dynamic friendships in books just about more than anything. 

Vicky was something different. You thought she was strong and amazing from the beginning, but her weaknesses were fleshed out as the story went on. Vicky was determined and talented, but she wasn't always that way, and that made her more real. Vicky is also one of those rare characters where you do get to see character development in the book, but you also see that she has developed before the story even began. Vicky showed us so many rare things in YA literature, including a boy who showed us how strong she was, as opposed to something that would just magically fix her problems. 

My one complaint is that how the bullying thing was dealt with at school. The bullying happened on a private blog that was most likely created outside of school. The school cannot give punishment when the bullying happened outside of school.  When the bully was given punishment at school, I could see that it was done so our protagonist had everything fixed, but that's not how it really happens. In the real world, when you have a victory, it is usually a small one. Not everything is fixed at once, and not all your ducks are in a row. 

Have you read this book? Did I convince you too? Do you like music? Read this book. Also, if you live in the USA, enter my giveaway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding your groove with journaling

Review Mashup #4: Geek Girl and Emmy & Oliver

Does This Mean I'm Not A Reader Anymore?