Book Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
By: Jesse Andrews
70% out of 100
Teen Book
295 pages

Blurb:
It is a universally acknowledged truth that high school sucks. But on the first day of his senior year, Greg Gaines thinks he’s figured it out. The answer to the basic existential question: How is it possible to exist in a place that sucks so bad? His strategy: remain at the periphery at all times. Keep an insanely low profile. Make mediocre films with the one person who is even sort of his friend, Earl.
        This plan works for exactly eight hours. Then Greg’s mom forces him to become friends with a girl who has cancer. This brings about the destruction of Greg’s entire life.
What I Thought:
This book largely focused on humor. I liked the sarcastic tone of this was told in because of the uniqueness of it. You will vary rarely come across a book that makes fun of cancer. I also liked
how this book is a very quick read and almost unputdownable. This book missed out on so much 
because it so largely focused on humor. 

The book focused on who the main characters were in the beginning, but not who they changed to be. 
The book had no general point to me. The characters barely changed and you knew how everything 
was going to happen.  I liked this book while reading it, but now after finishing it, I can easily see 
several flaws in the premise of the book. 

I also want to note that I wrote the following while reading this, "This book is like laughing gas on steroids
that got bit by a radioactive spider. Just to clarify, a radioactive laughing gas on steroids book." 
That quite strange sentence pretty much sums up this wacky book. However, I did enjoy this book
while reading it and I am excited to see the movie. I think that this book will make a better movie than book.
Summary of my review:
I enjoyed this book and found it to be humorous.  This book is an easy, quick read.  This book is quirky and has
a sarcastic, unique tone to its voice.  This book lacked character development and a general plot, 
but is somewhat enjoyable. I would recommend this book to you if you're in the mood for something lighthearted that will make you laugh. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding your groove with journaling

How Does Unique Formatting in Books Affect Your Reading Experience?

Does This Mean I'm Not A Reader Anymore?